Sunday, June 24, 2007

swimmin' in the rain, just swimmin' in the rain

As usual, I could feel the laughter. It began as air in my chest and worked its up my throat becoming a little giggle. The giggle was hard to suppress (as many giggles are), and I was quickly laughing out loud. I tried to hide the "haha's, hehehe's, and hoho's"....tried to bury my face into my towel, but the thought of the situation was just too much for me. The laughter couldn't be hidden.

The day was beautiful. A storm came through during church, but by the time it was over, the sun was shining and it was becoming rather muggy. My friend, Raina, and I had started the summer with this great plan of laying by the pool at her apartment complex every Sunday after church. The first two weeks, we were rained out. The third week was father's day. But today, well, it was going to be the day! Raina called and I drove out to her place...just imagining the bliss of the next two hours. We walked across the street, through the clubhouse, and into the....oh wait, the pool...it was a scummy green and had a "Closed for maintenance" sign gloomily hanging above it. We were doomed. A fourth Sunday with no pool.

Raina made a phone call and found a place for us to swim or...er....not swim. An apartment complex nearby. We arrived, staked out our spots, stripped down to our swimsuits, and settled into sun and good conversation. We had been discussing the state of men (which is another topic for another time) when we noticed a rather large, looming, gray cloud headed our direction.

"It's gonna blow over," I said. "Nothing is keeping us from our relaxing by the pool." A few minutes later, small drops of water began to land on us.

"It's just a little sprinkle," I said. "Nothing to worry about. The sun will be back in a minute."

Within a few seconds, people were scurrying to get underneath those tabletop umbrellas; away from the downpour. I merely rolled over on my stomach to keep it from pounding on my face.

"It's just a little sprinkle," Raina said in the same voice I had used. That's when the laughter began.

So there I was, roaring with laughter while lying on a towel by the pool; rain splattering on my back; the irony of the whole situation running through my brain. We decided that we didn't mind being the rain, but wanted our stuff to stay dry so we moved beneath an unoccupied umbrella. And then instead of returning to our towels...we did as the children were doing...we got IN the POOL! It was so fabulous! Swimming in a downpour! (the pool was actually warmer than the rain, too!)

I love rainy days. They make me feel refreshed, renewed; like starting something new. And today....it also made me feel like a kid...swimming in the rain. Raina and I could have run for the car....let the rain ruin the afternoon we had planned. But instead we embraced it and made it part of the fun!

I'm singing in the rain
Just singing in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again
I'm laughing at clouds
So dark up above
The sun's in my heart
And I'm ready for love
Let the stormy clouds chase
Everyone from the place
Come on with the rain
I've a smile on my face
I walk down the lane
With a happy refrain
Just singin',
Singin' in the rain

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice.Sounds like fun. I loved the big raindrops today. It reminded me of the monsoons.

Amanda said...

Neil - have you seen a monsoon?

Anonymous said...

Amanda, they come and affect the entire Indian Subcontinent in August or so. It is hot, hot, hot until then, and then it may rain daily and bring refreshment. It also brings much difficulty and hardship, but without it the sub-continent would starve and many more would die from heat etc.

And in the Himalayas when the clouds roll down a hillside, it is is just lovely, something like this:
http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/44567/mussoorie31_s_.jpg

Anonymous said...

Try this link instead:

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/India/North/Uttaranchal/Dhanaulti/photo519386.htm