Saturday, December 22, 2007

Elaboration on Two Things I learned...

1) For those of you that don’t know, I do frequent a gym. On the particular evening I blogged about in my last entry I had a limited amount of time, but still wanted to a sweat-worthy workout in. My preferred cardio machine was full. Not knowing how long I would have to wait, I eyed the other options…treadmill, rowing machine, stepper… The clock was ticking as I attempted to make a decision so I hopped on the closest treadmill…in for a good speed walk. After a couple of minutes, I realized that a speed walk was no longer going to work my body very well due to my normal workout routine (this is a good thing). My mind fluttered over the idea of running on the treadmill, but as I have mentioned before, I abhor running. The workout angel on my shoulder yelled louder than the running hater in my mind and before I knew what was happening, my finger was on the increase button and my legs were moving faster. Soon, I had been running for 10 minutes and sweat was dripping down my face. It was beautiful! I continued to run until I thought my muscles would die and my lungs would burst…and then I allowed myself a good walk and stretch. I’m thinking about doing it again…although I’m not certain that I would run outdoors.

2) I consider myself a good cook as does one of my coworkers, Rebekah. It was a rather ironically funny night when the two of us tried to make decorated shortbread cookies for our school’s Christmas celebration. We should have known when the dough wasn’t rolling out as easily as it should have, but we kept going. The fact that the cookies were breaking as we used cookie cutters to cut them out should have been the next clue that we needed to stop. We laughed and continued to mold the pieces into recognizable Christmas shapes. We broke more as we got them off of the pan, making sound effects and giggling as we did. Many of our cookies were broken, but we had managed to save just enough; that is, until the frosting process. The frosting kept suctioning the cookie to the plate as we hand-dipped them. The fragile cookies couldn’t handle the stress of being pulled out, and would snap at the least bit of pressure. In the end, we had bonded over plates full of misfit cookies, hoping our students would think eating the broken pieces was a treat.

No comments:

Blog Archive