Sunday, August 26, 2007

Chris, Lauren, and Daniel

It's Sunday night, and I'm working. I have a feeling that this could easily become a trend over the next few months as I learn to balance all of the jobs that life has thrown my way, or rather, God has been so kind to give to me. I'm struggling to work tonight. Partially because it's Sunday night, and I'm tired. It's also because the songs on my Pandora "mellow" station keep sending me on a nostalgic journey. Three of my good friends are leaving the country this week; all on trips unrelated to one another. They have all brought some sort of delight to my heart so I thought I would do some small tribute to them as they depart. (I know, a blog isn't much of a tribute, but it's what I've got at this time.) This is probably more for selfish purposes, but if anyone knows these three and wants to add on their own memories or blessings, please do!

Chris leaves tomorrow for Japan where he will be teaching English to middle school girls for two years. I've known Chris for over a year now. I
first knew him as my supervisor at camp, but he quickly became a friend, confidant, and drinking partner (yeah, sometimes after being around 100s of kids at once, you just need a drink :) ) It's so much more than that though. I met Chris at a time in my life when I was revisiting and trying to work through my pain and insecurities brought about during a particular teaching position I once had. Chris, in his no-nonsense kind of way, often "put me in my place"; calling me on ideas I believed about myself that were really just lies. He helped me see myself as a woman with the qualities of a good teacher; someone who really did have something to contribute to the school world. As I walk down the path of memories with Chris, most vivid are the late night conversations over a drink, the grand opening of my day campers' garden (where Chris wore this ridiculous hat and tie and gave a speech that used the word "forefathers"), and showing him around St. Louis after Urbana. CHRIS - I will miss (do miss) seeing you interact with children, your honest advice, and your constant encouragement. You have been an integral part of some big healing in my life! May the Lord cover you as you search for Starbucks and Target in your new home! (hehe)

Lauren leaves for Barcelona on Labor Day. She will spend a semester there as a student and then move to Chile to work with a missionary for several months. Lauren is a relatively new friend, but in the short time I have known her, I have grown to love her humor, her smile, and her over uniqueness. She has a way of laughing about any situation, and she oozes an energy that infects anyone around her. Although I've only know her a short while, I've had the opportunity to laugh at least a million laughs and imprint memories on my heart. One of my favorite Lauren stories: We were playing a rather vigorous game of Sardines in a large, supposedly haunted building. Lauren and I were partners and had won the first round so we were searching for our own hiding spot. Where did we choose? A stall in a non-functioning bathroom on the 3rd (and scariest floor). We both stood on the toilet half bent over to avoid being seen. It doesn't seem that memorable in writing this, but trust me, it was. LAUREN - I am excited for the adventures that are ahead of you, and even more excited that I get to be around to hear about them! I have loved eating ice cream and having "stalking" text messages with you over the past couple of months. My prayer for you is one of protection, adventures, and sweet moments with Jesus in places unknown!

Daniel, like Lauren, is a fairly new friend. He is headed to Nanjing, China on Tuesday where he will be a student for a year. It is hard for me to pick just what to say about Daniel as I feel like he had a profound effect on my life without even trying. I cannot remember learning so much about myself from one person. Perhaps it was just a summer for growing and changing. Perhaps all of the self-knowledge was there, on the verge of being discovered, and he happened to be the catalyst that brought all to the surface. No matter the other factors, he was a large part of who I am becoming as I learn more about who I am (if that makes sense). I will always remember our very late nights working on bookshelves, the way he chops an onion, his love for classical music and Jane Austen, our brief friendship with Joe, and the way his servant's heart was always blessing different people. DANIEL - Thank you for showing me loved things once forgotten, reminding me of my "true" age, and allowing me to be real even when it was hard. May the Lord guide your studies and the decisions that come with your return to the States next spring!

I will miss all three of them very deeply, but will look forward to the e-mails about their adventures...and conversation over ice cream or margaritas or staining furniture when they return!

No comments:

Blog Archive