Sunday, January 27, 2008

the markings of a "J"

My former roommate, Tanya, made me take the Myers-Briggs personality test prior to our living to together. It turned out to be a powerful aid in our living together as it provided some understanding in our actions. It has also been helpful as I joined the IV staff world; they too often speak in "myers-briggs".

Lately I've been noticing (and doing that thing where I blog in my head) traces of my "J" ness as I walk through my day. As a J, noticing these things probably would have made me self-conscience, but after living and working with P's, I've learned to laugh.

I am an ESFJ.

Here's my version of...

You Know You're a "J" if:
(Some of these might actually be a combination of SJ)

10. You fight (or give in to) the urge to call the person you're meeting when they are 3 minutes late.
9. You lock your pens in your desk so your coworkers won't walk off with them.
8. You call your boss everytime you think of something you need to tell him rather than saving it all up for one conversation.
7. You have to unpack all of your boxes before you sleep after moving into a new apartment or house.
6. Your underwear drawer is not only organized, but compartmentalized.
5. when using a microwave, you must hit the clear button after stopping something before time runs out because you just can't handle a "portion" of time sitting on the screen.
4. Everything in your freezer is in a container...and is labelled.
3. You do the same thing every morning - hit snooze for 10 minutes, get up, go to bathroom, turn on hot water, wash face, get dressed, make breakfast, quiet time, pack lunch, get shoes, go to work.
2. Every file on your computer is neatly filed away and you can actually see the desktop picture.
1.You wake up a bit sweaty from a nightmare that consists of someone expecting something of you last minute

(for those of you that know me: my "nightmare" - Andrew and Paul, the work day coordinators had a team of around 150 sitting in the cafeteria waiting to eat. I had NO IDEA that I was even supposed to cook for them. And Paul was insisting that he told me and expecting me to pull something together right there)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my- that would be a nightmare—what did you do??? I think I would be like, "Who is up for White Castle?"

Anyway- I was just telling Linda and Drea that you helped me get more organized- i.e. writing things down before I say yes to them.

For me, being a “p”
10. I would be the late person- probably 10 minutes late.
9. I can’t ever find a pen that works!
8. I want to have a heart to heart with my boss and feel bad if it’s only a “logistics” conversation. (Might be more of an F thing too)
7. I do that too- the unpacking thing
6. my “bin” is just thrown together – I have a hard time finding socks to match at times but I’m learning to put them together as soon as I take them out of the dryer
5. haha…. I totally leave it on whatever seconds are left
4. freezer--- stuff it until the door doesn’t closer and just push things around until the door closes.
3. my only usual thing about the morning is that I’m searching for where I put my keys the night before.
2. well mine is pretty organized too- I don’t like clutter there either
1. I think I share that one with you too

love ya, Tanya

Chris Rensink said...

That list is great. I enjoy being a J, but I may be wierd...who knows.