Friday, May 30, 2008

shooting the moon...




The score was 19-41. My inability to take risks had set us at the very beginning of the game, and now, we were one point, one hand, away from losing. The opening bids made their way around the table, coming to a halt when my father (who also happened to be my partner) said, “We’re going to shoot the moon in hearts.” I took a deep breath and exchanged my unsuitable cards for new ones as Norah Jones crooned “shoot the moon and missed completely” in my head. The tricks began. We took the first, and the second, and the third. With no more hearts to play, Raina went out. We took yet another trick, this time with the triple-pointing “3”. One more trick; Grandpa out. Dad held one more card. The jack, and the last of the points we needed! We shot the moon and landed! Coming from a 22 point deficit to win the game!

No comments: