Monday, February 09, 2009

there's creativity oozing from my closet

i'm taking this class at my new church that deals with aspects of how we live life together as the church (not just that church, but the church). tonight dealt with spiritual gifts. i have been thinking a lot lately about giftings, specifically mine. it's pretty obvious that i've got the administrative stuff. (hey don't judge me by my freezer.) over the last four years, god has been deconstructing and rebuilding me, along the way revealing things about me that i didn't know or that i didn't recognize. one of those things being what i think might be some artist personality tendancies. something about that feels very awkward - a creative "type a". the pastor who taught the class tonight was talking about different personality types and he said, "there are those who have their closets all neat and tidy and organized by color. and there are those whose closets you can't even see, but those are the people that ooze creativity." i know that god is the creator and he can create whatever the heck he wants, but it's hard to wrap my mind around creativity oozing out of my organized closet. it causes me to wonder if i'm really just one posing as the other. so which would i be? (note: i do know that a person can have more than one gifting, but seriously, how often do these two go together?)

i can't escape the administrator in me. i don't love the administrator in me, but i love the order and effciency the administrator in me produces.

as for the creative side (which by the way my new church calls the creative communicator spiritual gift). i've got that whole singing thing...for like 22 years now, worship teams and worship leading, saxophone for 9 years, guitar now for 3 months, some photography (which has been affirmed in the sense that a couple of my photos have won very local awards), and i've been hearing more and more lately that i'm a good story teller. i also love to create with food by deviating from a recipe or figuring out how to mesh random things from my fridge into one dish. i feel incredibly close to god in nature and through music, and often hope that when people look at my photos or listen to me sing or allow me to lead them in worship, that will find some sort of connection to their creator. can those things justify my being a creative communicator? is it okay that i'm just mediocre at all of these things, instead of a master of one? how do explain the feeling i get when i touch my guitar or take photographs that move me to closer to the center of god's character?

this post is a lot of processing aloud. i'm interested in what you have to say, not to affirm who i am, but more just to gather some opinions on what feels to be two naturally conflicting giftings, if the one is really my gift. so please, leave your thoughts. start a discussion.

3 comments:

Jake Rohde said...

I don't know if this is even remotely interesting to you, but Pam recently posted (I think it was in her "25 random things about me" post) that she's "the most equally left- and right-brained person you will ever meet." So, in her case (and perhaps in yours), it appears that what some consider to be two opposite ends of the spectrum can really be awfully darn close to the center of that spectrum.

Amanda said...

yeah, I've had a couple of conversations about this since I posted it. I think I might have even been gently rebuked by the art teacher at school--I love her. She had some interesting things to say about how administration and creativity work hand in hand and how the "stereotype" artist is horribly wrong. After I process what she said a little more, I may write about it. And as for Pam, I can't see her blog anymore. She cut me off :(

Elizabeth said...

I found your blog after you commented on Monty's blog. I commented after you, and like to go visit the people who comment right before me.
Anyway, I liked reading what you've said. I liked the story about John (the security guy) too.
I wanted to comment on this post because I had the exact same thoughts as you after the Body Life spiritual gifts class. I am anal retentive but also creative. I felt called in three spiritual gifts areas, including administration and creative communications.
I talked to Greg about it last Monday night and he said it's rare to find someone with those two conflicting gifts, but they are usually amazing people who can accomplish a lot. So he said if it turns out to be true for me, I need to get involved at church! I decided to jump in with both feet and have been talking to some people about how I can fit in at church.
Anyway, I wanted to comment and tell you I'm having the same questions and searchig for answers too. Good luck on your journey! :)

Blog Archive