Tuesday, September 04, 2007

God's proximity during sleepless nights

I hate nights like tonight. The kind where you lay in bed for hours, mind reeling, legs throbbing, but not falling asleep. I'm not sure if I can't sleep tonight because of ideas churning in my brain - leftovers from a fruitful house church early this evening or because of the ache in my legs - the result of teaching flexibility in P.E. today - when I'm really not all that flexible. (oh to be young again).

My friend's brother blogged about proximity to God and sanctification. He mentioned laying in bed, examining the ceiling, and then thinking "God is even in this room." As I read that I realized that often the knowledge that He is in the room is not enough for me. I want to FEEL His presence...know that He is there beside me. I find it funny in an almost ironic way that human nature is to see and touch...knowledge is not enough. Sometimes I ask for ridiculous things...like "Lord, can you hold my hand. I mean, REALLY hold my hand so that I can FEEL it." or "Lord can you massage the area on my shoulder that I can't reach, but desperately needs some help?" In an odd way, He often answers those requests. Many people have those requests because of unbelief - a part of them needs to know that God is real. I ask because I need the affection - the physical touch - and who better to get it from than the one who really knows me best. My shoulder doesn't actually get massaged, but the pain goes away. And sometimes, in my half asleep state, I feel as though someone is touching me.

Why pawn that off on brain trickery, when I can hold on to the idea that the Lord cares for and attends to my physical-emotional needs just as much he does every other part of my life?

1 comment:

Chris Rensink said...

Oh to be young again?!?! You are young...very young. You are talking like at 60 year old grandma :)

Blog Archive