Monday, January 10, 2005

Here Comes the Bride

Yes, you read that title correctly, but no, I'm not the bride (although lately it seems like everyone I know is a bride or groom). Instead it happens to be one of my students. I know, they are only four. But it's true. To understand this story, you must know that one of my students was a flower girl in a wedding this weekend, and another is going to be a flower girl in an upcoming wedding. In addition to this, many young children will often re-enact events that are happening in their lives. So with that said, here is the story of the year (I think).

During free play this afternoon, I was mixing up some paint for tomorrow's craft. I find that when I preoccupy myself, the kids are much more free in their dramatic play than when I am watching them. Usually I can loose myself in my own activities until certain words from the wee ones pull me back to my classroom. Today it was the words of Torey saying, "John, get that Bible so that you can read to us, and we can be married." The only thing I could think was "oh goodness." I turned just in time to see the "happy couple" walking up the aisle. Raina, the blushing bride, was dressed in a bright green apron covered with lab coat molded into a flowing skirt. Upon her head a green towel was draped in a veil-like manner. (Only she couldn't see through the towel..hehehe). The groom, Torey, was wearing a grandfatherly hat and a Vikings jersey.

The couple walked hand-in-hand down the . Minister John then read a most perfect scripture for the occasion. (He was actually holding some random children's book). "Be good to others for God is good. Psalm 87:14 " said John. (Meanwhile I'm dying inside!) He then tried to put a ring on the bride's finger as the groom protested, "NO! That's the wrong finger!"

When the "ring" reached the correct finger, Minister John turned to the photographer (who was actually taking pictures with a fake camera) Kya and said, "Hit it." Kya just stared at him like he was crazy. Again, John said, "Hit it." This time Kya swung her fist in the air as if hitting some imaginary target (I was totally rolling!) John corrected her and lead the whole class in singing the first four notes of Here Comes the Bride...over and over and over as the couple left the minister's presence.

The bride insisted upon having a dance. Luckily DJ Jazzy Salmond was in the house and hooked the couple up with some Karrin Allyson ballads. Torey immediately swept Raina out onto the dance carpet, twirling her about. He even dipped the bride, although they ended up on the floor. Minister John and his "wife" Marie also cut a rug with the happy couple.

I imagine I will be laughing at this for a long time!

No comments:

Blog Archive