Saturday, July 16, 2005

King-sized bed and Lifetime Television

My dear friends Jake and Colette got married this weekend. I did a brave thing. I went to the wedding alone, all the while knowing that I probably wouldn't know many people there. As I drove the 3.5 hours to the small town in Iowa, I contemplated what I would do if I ended up in a corner alone all night. Just why is it that a person has to feel this way about attending a wedding alone?

Once I arrived at my hotel, I didn't have to contemplate long...I had a king-sized bed and Lifetime Television. My new dilemma quickly became "should I go to the wedding?" knowing that this special treat was at my finger tips! Of course, I did attended the wedding (I have been waiting for this wedding for about 4 years now) and was acquainted with a hand-full of people there (mostly Central College people who graduated 3-4 years ahead of me.) I was lucky enough to sit next to the Brownlees - Tony was the neat guy in college who dubbed me "Patty" (for salmon patty in case some of you don't get it). After the ceremony, I gave Jakey and Letta a big hug and headed up the aisle out into the foyer...and what to my wondering eyes appears?? MATT OLIVER! If you know Matt Oliver, then you know why I say it just like that. I spent the rest of the evening laughing and catching up with not only him, but another long lost choir friend, Steph Messer. We all went to Romania together (as well as Colette).

I highly recommend attending a wedding alone just once. See what buried treasure you can dig up! (But make sure your hotel room has a king-sized bed and Lifetime Television just in case!)

No comments: