Tuesday, January 17, 2006

my sister is hilarious

My sister, Emily, left on Friday for a semester in Wales. She has this sarcastic way of writing that just makes you laugh, as you will soon read for yourself. The following is the e-mail she sent us after a couple of hours in London.

I'd like to give a reprieve to anyone who wants absolutely nothing to do with my goings-on while abroad through the madness that is mass emails. I know it wears the edges of a person's sanity from personal experience, but hey I sure as heck ain't gonna e-mail the same thing to this many people repeatedly. I'd like to tell you your message would be original, but I can't. Just know that you all hold a special place to me ... just like the others. (Better than copying and pasting over and over)
I arrived at my hotel without any major catastrophes, but being the walking disaster I am, I couldn't avoid the little ones. On the first part of my flight, I was searching in vain for a place for my carry on and im sure you can imagine the panic on my face. I know one lady did. She felt my pain so keenly she decided to inflict it on her husband. She wacked him on the top of the head with a rolled up newspaper and told him to get his *insert creative offensive word here - or if you work in a church camp, just think happy thoughts :P* out of the storage space so i could put my bag there. Trust me, no paper should make THAT kind of thwack.
In the terminal between flights, everything went smoothly until I happened to sit in the waiting area next to two ornery guys going overseas in the army. They took it upon themselves to threaten my chance at sleep for the next eight hours - i retaliated by threatening to throw at them what later revealed itself to be overcooked pasta. As luck would have it - they were in the same row as me ! Yikes! Instead of making good my threat, I carried on a 7 hour conversation with the lady next to me. When I got to heathrow, I put my baggage on one of the handy carts they had and was ready for anything. Well, anything except my wheel flying off, which it did and all of my luggage went flying. *look at the crazy girl on the floor woohoo*
Oddly, no one went through my luggage at customs. My passport was stamped and I got my luggage after and just went straight out. I kept thinking I had missed a spot and they would be running after me. Oh, well. On the ride over, I was the only one in the Hotelink bus and the man driving was very talkative. He wanted to know where in the states I was from and when I responded with "Missouri" He said oh yeah I know it - that's where the Ku Klux Klan is. How is the Klan these days..." WHAT? I assured him I didn't know any members personally nor had ever seen them, and he looked at me suspiciously and said I saw the pictures on the internet, they're there. It was sort of creepy. After that though he drove around a bit to show me some of the sights, which was nice of him and not unwelcome with the fare i payed to get to my hotel. It was a flat rate, so he wasn't trying to up his anty, but I didn't mind upping mine. We drove past Westminster and he said, "Oh, I have something to show you." and took a side street - actually i think all of the roads in London are side streets - to a building that had a long line of middle school and high school aged girls coming out of it. Apparently, today was the day of auditions for a new female role in Harry Potter. The line wrapped itself all the way around probably 40 blocks. Not just down them, it circled each one. It was insanity at its finest.
The rest of my day consisted of one activity - sleeping. I won't bore you with my dreams, feel free to insert one yourself if you must :) I'm off to explore now. We'll see how long that lasts.
My love and well wishes to you all
emily

1 comment:

The Duffs said...

Hey Amanda! It was interesting reading the email from your sister. What a fun experience -- a semester in England. Speaking of England, I heard on the news the other day, that a whale was seen swimming up the Thames...did your sister see that "lost" whale?

Blog Archive