Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Today was one of those days. No, not one of those days as in the sort that leaves you stressed and tired and wanting nothing more than a cup of tea and a comfortable bed. It was one of those days that you relish; not because anything special or important happened. But because the simplicity of each moment tugs at something in the corner of your brain ...or your heart..I'm not sure which. My day started with a mug of chocolate coffee (my favorite homemade drink), rain, thick traffic, and two three-year-olds, suffering from separation anxiety, stuck to my neck. One would think it was a recipe for the day that leaves you wanting only to start over or move on to tomorrow. But something about those three-year-olds...their very first day of school ever. I felt like I was part of a monumental event with all of the pictures and video cameras. Noon came and I drove home to scavenge for food. I couldn't get myself to look for jobs that didn't even exist. So I put my energy into re-organizing the library at the tutoring center...better use of my time anyway. Soon after I found myself in one of my favorite places in this city....curled up in a big chair on the 2nd floor of a bookstore. A man had sat in it before I came along. I could tell because the leather had remnants of cologne. Where had he gone? Home to his family? Back to his college dorm? To work a late night in one of the prominent businesses in the neighborhood? The rain had stopped. From my perch, I could see the busy intersections below. People bustling home from work oblivious to the fact that the clouds were still low and dark and swirly. More swirly than dark. The weather was more what I imagined Seattle weather to be like. When I could finally tear myself away from the view below, I looked through the books I had chosen off the shelf for today's visit. Yes, I'm one of those customers. I like to get books off of the shelf, read portions of them, and then leave them on the table by the big comfy chair-the one with the hole in the seat. I so often lose myself in this place. Today it was not the movement of people around me that jolted me back to reality. Instead it was pleasant phone call. The promise of a few hours of work. Now I end the day listening to the melancholic voice of KT Tungstall...she's not always that way, but my favorite of her songs consistently matches the mellow side of my inner self....and letting the blogging world in on my day...just one of those days...but in a good way.

No comments:

Blog Archive