Saturday, July 26, 2008

if you're going to san francisco...


I awoke to the sun in my eyes this morning, like a small child standing at your bedside begging for attention. It took me a moment to remember where I was…oh yeah, in West Oakland in a house owned by World Impact with another of the IV teams. I had arrived the night before and spent some time learning about what their project site is all about before delving into a riveting game of Outburst Junior. Although this team was not as eager to share or ask questions, I did learn that they spend their days with kids and participate in many of the community events and happenings that World Impact sponsors; one of those being a community breakfast which I attended this morning.

When we arrived at the World Impact building, we were greeted enthusiastically by Hendrick. The stories of this man, shared the night before, had left me thinking of him as a bit insane, in a non-threatening way of course. Meeting him in person did nothing to dispel those thoughts. When he spotted the IV team coming up the sidewalk, Hendrick threw open the door and then his arms, spouting off rapid little hellos as each intern passed through. Without saying anything, he grabbed my hand and did a version of a secret handshake as if I were to know it. It wasn’t until another moment in the morning that we actually exchanged words, the gist of them being “Oakland needs me.”

We worked our way out back to the patio/playground where about 20 people, many homeless, were waiting to be let in the gate. Hendrick unlocked it, greeted everyone, said a prayer, and stepped back as they did a half run half walk to get to the line. Hendrick remained at the gate, attempting to greet them as they flew by in eagerness for the meal. I was not able to stay long, but just long enough to find out that Hendrick had started cooking the breakfast at midnight, and that one of the volunteers had come to Berkley for graduate school from West Frankfort, Illinois, a small town outside of St. Louis.

I saw San Francisco today. Josh and I started at Twin Peaks, the highest point in the city. The view from the top was an essential introduction to the city as you could see from ocean to bay. After driving the streets, we stopped at The Painted Lady houses, a television icon for my generation. Golden Gate park shined as the home of the botanical gardens, two art museums, a Chihuly exhibit, and a plethora of tall palm trees. The path through the park led us to the ocean—one of only a handful of times I’ve seen the clear water. We fought the hordes of tourists, cyclists, and joggers at the Golden Gate Bridge to find ourselves at the center of the rusty red structure discussing people who commit suicide in its arms. God redeemed that conversation by showing us a dolphin, a rare sighting in the area. The last leg of our journey was through the Haight-Ashbury District and down Lombard: the Crookedest Street in the World.

Josh left me at Fisherman’s Wharf and Pier 39 where I discovered WWII vessels including a submarine and a ship built by women, clam chowder, sea lions, and the bushman. I hopped over to Ghiradelli Square, and then walked to Chinatown and Union Square. After exploring the 4-story Old Navy, I rode the bart (UNDER THE BAY!!!) back to my 24 hour home in West Oakland.

The team I am bunking with had gathered around the table for dinner. Though I wasn’t hungry, the opportunity to sit and for fresh water was most welcome. We discussed our days and chocolate before the team members scattered. I was not a quick to move and soon found myself at the table with the two team leaders processing some of the heavier team dynamic issues that are often brought up during the last weeks of an urban project.

I am ending the day completely exhausted, yet satisfied on a mattress at Josh and Margie’s house in the heart of Oakland.

Tomorrow it’s on to Fresno.

No comments:

Blog Archive