Sunday, July 13, 2008

smells, boxes, and strange animal sitings

This may seem a little gross to some, but it was a memory trigger for me so I'm going to share it with the world...or at least all 5 of you that read this blog.

I went for a run this afternoon during which I sweat through the back of my shirt. It's funny, the more times I run, the more I seem to sweat. I definately did not sweat as much when I ran the 5K (granted it WAS only 36 degrees that morning). Anyway, as the sun was setting (several hours after my run) I found myself adjusting the dirt around the base of the trees at my new house. As I was perfecting the mound, I caught a whiff of dry sweat caught in the fabrics of my clothes and before I could stop, my mind had me back on the sidelines of a Friday night high school football game. Mr. Defenbaugh at my side, yelling out numbers. Nate wheeling the ball down the field with perfect form thanks to the block Paul set. High fives, cheers, the smell of popcorn and sweat in the air. There's nothing like a small town Friday night football game...nothing.

Only two days until my move. I think everything but my toothbrush and computer are in a box. I worked really hard this weekend to finish packing all of the random things that are just laying around. This I did accomplish, but as I laid down for sleep, I felt surprisingly sad.

On a little more of a random note....they found a black bear up by my parents' house. It's a big deal as those kind of bears don't appear in that area. AND they caught a 6 foot long alligator in Lake of the Ozarks! Makes me rethink the swimming I do there!

1 comment:

Jake Rohde said...

I liked this entry. I agree with what you said about small-town Friday night football games.

I just happened to randomly discover your blog, and now I'm a subscriber. I LOVE reading blogs... especially those written by people I love.

I'm really looking forward to hangin' out in a few weeks.

Blog Archive