Thursday, July 24, 2008

landing elsewhere and taking risks

Today was the day. Six months of anticipation. Six weeks of gearing up, thinking ahead, moving, unpacking, packing, training new staff to fill in. Six hours of sleep last night. Six hours on a plane today.

I boarded bound for Oakland, and surprisingly landed in Los Angeles. There was nothing mentioned on my itinerary about LA, and I only had one boarding pass which I gave up when I walked the plank to the plane. Luckily, they do this really cool thing where they land in a city that you had no idea you were landing in and if you were actually going somewhere else on the same plane, you don’t have to get off. You get to experience the cleaning of the plane (which is actually kind of neat), walk around the plane, and pick a different seat!! (only on those airlines where you pick your seat to start out with). Before I knew it I was landing on what looked like the ocean, but quickly became land as the wheels hit the surface (yes, the run-way butts right up to the ocean…maybe a little scary?)

My goal for the next few days is to spend some time with Cap’n Josh and the folk of the Bay Area Urban Project. To learn. To experience. Experience, I will. I just spent some time (and will spend the night) with one of the BayUP teams in the heart of East Oakland where the neighborhood is a good blend of Latino and Cambodian. The team is living 8 in a two bedroom apartment. Two women (and myself tonight) sleep in the living room. Most of them work with kids programs during the day. They take turns cooking, spending time in community, and are hopefully getting a new picture of God’s heart for what the world deems as “the least of these.”

Good stuff.

I recently had my year end review for InterVarsity which included processing some of my personal life. I think the past 5 months or so have been about discipline and pursuing things that I wouldn’t normally do…taking some risks. I’m not a natural risk-taker. I stray from danger and pain, and cling to the straight road, sometimes sacrificing thrill, new experiences, and fun. I sense this changing in some respects. I did run a 5K (and there was plenty of pain to go along with it). I’ve lost 27 pounds...giving up some things I used to depend on. I’m leaving the life of independent living, and moving into a house with a friend.

In light of all of this processing, I’ve decided to make these three weeks in California risk taking weeks. To not think through things so deeply. To relax and enjoy. To experience that which I wouldn’t normally choose to engage in.

I can hear some of you cheering for me already! :)

No comments:

Blog Archive